What’s Happening: A comprehensive summary of the finalized payment updates and policy changes to the Medicare outpatient prospective payment system for calendar year 2024 is available.
What Else to Know: The provisions are generally effective Jan. 1, 2024.
The summary includes information on the annual updates to the Medicare fee–for–service outpatient payment rates and implementation of new policies including:
- Increasing the market basket by a net 3.1%
- Adding 10 services from the inpatient-only list
- Expanding the partial hospitalization program rate structure
- Establishing an intensive outpatient program
- Standardizing the reporting of standard chart data using a Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services template
- Outlining quality program requirements for rural emergency hospitals
- Updating requirements for the Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting Program