The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has released a series of resources intended to help providers incorporate, in their disaster planning, strategies to care for patients with serious mental illness.
- Practical suggestions and strategies from the SAMHSA Center for Mental Health Services
- A fact sheet from the Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
- National standards from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- A disaster planning guide from the South Carolina Department of Mental Health
- Considerations for moving or evacuating psychiatric patients, developed by the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response
- An initiative that offers clinical support for serious mental illness