The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently updated its guidance to hospitals on the reporting of COVID-19-related data. It includes the addition of new COVID-19 therapeutic fields and updates to the vaccination fields. Additionally, fields related to personnel protective equipment re-use and extended use are now optional.
Updates to data reporting include:
- The addition of two new fields to capture the combination therapy of two monoclonal antibodiesy, bamlanivimab/etesevimab. These fields are currently optional but will become mandatory starting April 7.
- Current Inventory: bamlanivimab/etesevimab
- Courses Used in Past Week: bamlanivimab/etesevimab
- Vaccination fields have been updated to incorporate language related to the use of single-dose vaccines. Vaccination fields will continue to be optional, but reporting is encouraged. As is the case with any of the hospital COVID-19 data, HHS may report aggregate and/or facility-level data on vaccinations publicly in the future.
- The following personal protective equipment re-use/extended use fields are now optional:
- N95 Reusing/Extended Use
- PAPR Reusing/Extended Use
- Launderable Gowns Reusing/Extended Use
- Fields capturing data for COVID-19 among staff members have changed from daily to weekly report:
- Total COVID-19 Staff
- Today’s COVID-19 Staff will become This Week’s COVID-19 Staff
- Newly Confirmed Staff
- Newly Suspected Staff
- Staff New COVID-19 Deaths
CHA will make changes to its COVID-19 Tracking Tool to incorporate the new fields. Changes will be implemented on Wednesday, March 31. CHA will provide hospitals and systems currently using the data upload feature with a revised template in advance. Updates to the data dictionary are highlighted in blue. In addition, CHA is working with the California Department of Public Health to update the data reporting guidance document.
Please send any questions to COVIDTracker@calhospital.org.