Administration of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Resumes
On April 23, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended resuming administration of the Johnson & Johnson (aka Janssen or J&J) vaccine.
On April 24, the Western States Scientific Review Advisory Committee also recommended resuming the J&J vaccine. In response, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) issued a statement on April 24 stating, “Clinics in California may begin administering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine immediately as long as they provide appropriate educational materials to inform patients of the vaccine’s low risk of associated health effects and other available vaccine options.”
To assist health care providers administering the J&J vaccine, the FDA has issued an updated fact sheet.
Next CDPH Office Hours: April 30
CDPH will hold a COVID-19 Vaccination Office Hours webinar for hospitals on April 30 from 9 to 10 a.m. (PT). To participate, visit this link.
Next CDPH Call for Health Care Facilities: May 4, 8-9 a.m. (PT)
Dial: (844) 721-7239
Summary of April 13 CDPH Call
CDPH has provided a summary of its April 13 call with health care facilities. The department has also issued an update to the summary of its April 6 call.
In case you missed them, here are some recent stories of interest:
- Kaiser Health News: Time to Say Goodbye to Some Insurers’ Waivers for Covid Treatment Fees
- Becker’s Hospital Review: How health systems are deciding whether to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations
- CalMatters: State’s ‘MyTurn’ website bypassed for most vaccine appointments
- New York Times: Nation Faces ‘Hand-to-Hand Combat’ to Get Reluctant Americans Vaccinated
- California Healthline: Doctors Scramble to Understand Long Covid, but Causes and Prognosis Are Elusive
- State Resources: Monitor ICU capacity by region or by county.
- CHA Resources: Hospitals can access county dashboards through the CHA COVID-19 Tracking Tool, which includes hospital-specific data on ICU capacity.