CHA has issued a detailed summary, prepared by Health Policy Alternatives, of the calendar year 2021 end-stage renal disease (ESRD) prospective payment system (PPS) final rule.
In addition to the payment updates, the summary highlights changes that include:
- Updates to the ESRD PPS wage index to adopt the 2018 Office of Management and Budget delineations with a transition period
- Addition to the ESRD PPS base rate to include calcimimetics in the ESRD PPS bundled payment
- Changes to the eligibility criteria and determination process for the transitional add-on payment adjustment for new and innovative equipment and supplies (TPNIES)
- Expansion of TPNIES to include new and innovative home dialysis machines
- Changes to the low-volume payment adjustment eligibility criteria and attestation requirement in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency
The summary also details the updates to the acute kidney injury dialysis payment rate and the finalized changes to the ESRD Quality Incentive Program.