CHA has issued a detailed summary, prepared by Health Policy Alternatives, of the calendar year 2021 end-stage renal disease (ESRD) prospective payment system (PPS) final rule.
In addition to the payment updates, the summary highlights changes that include:
- Updates to the ESRD PPS wage index to adopt the 2018 Office of Management and Budget delineations with a transition period
- Addition to the ESRD PPS base rate to include calcimimetics in the ESRD PPS bundled payment
- Changes to the eligibility criteria and determination process for the transitional add-on payment adjustment for new and innovative equipment and supplies (TPNIES)
- Expansion of TPNIES to include new and innovative home dialysis machines
- Changes to the low-volume payment adjustment eligibility criteria and attestation requirement in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency
The summary also details the updates to the acute kidney injury dialysis payment rate and the finalized changes to the ESRD Quality Incentive Program.
This content is restricted to members.