CHA News

Cal OES Estimates FEMA Region 9 Will Obligate $265.3 Million to Hospitals in Coming Weeks

This post has been archived and contains information that may be out of date.

CHA has received an update about its ongoing efforts to expedite Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) public assistance (PA) funding. 

The update from the California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) states that FEMA Region 9 has obligated an additional $65.5 million since the beginning of November for 65 “low risk” (e.g., expenses related to personal protective equipment) projects. Additionally, FEMA Region 9 anticipates obligating an additional $265.3 million in the “next week or so.”  

Assuming FEMA Region 9 meets this schedule, approximately 70% of funds applied for will be obligated. CHA continues collaborating with Cal OES to gain clarity on when the remaining 30% of funds will be obligated.   

During CHA’s engagement with elected leaders, it has learned that one way to help move an application through the process more quickly is for hospitals to have vocal support from their elected representatives. CHA encourages hospitals with outstanding applications to reach out to their member of Congress to request assistance and has prepared a template for hospitals to use to facilitate the exchange of necessary information.  

CHA recently hosted an online member discussion to provide an update on advocacy efforts related to securing FEMA PA obligations. A recording of the discussion is available on the CHA website