Effective August 12, CHA Manuals are available in ePub format only
The ePub includes a PDF and access to the CHA Manuals App for mobile use. CHA members may download PDFs for all CHA manuals, from the publications download library; the free CHA Manuals App may be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
CHA’s EMTALA Manual explains the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) to minimize risk and help hospitals avoid lawsuits. The manual is full of sample scenarios and answers to hundreds of real-world questions, and provides practical guidance to hospitals, physicians, and nurses to simplify compliance with patient anti-dumping laws.
The 2018 edition has been updated to reflect five more years’ experience with the law, and:
- Includes an extensively revised chapter on psychiatric emergency patients, with new content on 72- and 24-hour holds, county responsibilities, law enforcement roles, and more.
- Discusses all Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) guidance documents about EMTALA issued since 2009.
- Covers increased fines for EMTALA violations and new mitigating factors the Office of Inspector General may consider in determining fine amounts.
- Reviews recent courts decisions, explores urgent care center responsibilities, and notes important distinctions between the terms “stable” and “stabilized.”
This information-packed resource is a “must have” for Emergency Department Directors and Nurse Managers!
Written by M. Steven Lipton from Hooper, Lundy & Bookman, PC. (Ninth edition, 2018)
- Overview of Patient-Dumping Laws
- When and Where Does EMTALA Begin and End
- Medical Screening Examinations
- Financial Considerations — EMTALA and Managed Care
- Transferring or Discharging an Emergency Patient
- EMTALA and Psychiatric Emergency Patients
- Patient Refusal of Stabilizing Treatment or Transfer
- Obligations of Receiving Hospitals
- Maintenance of the Central Log
- Required Signage
- Physician On-Call Responsibilities
- Reporting Patient-Dumping Violations
- Regulatory Enforcement of EMTALA
- Private Actions to Enforce EMTALA
- Quality Improvement and Risk Management
- Application of EMTALA to Disasters and Public Health Emergencies
- Over 20 useful appendixes including statute, regulations and Interpretive Guidelines
Preview the Manual
Click here to preview the manual.
CHA includes hard copies of forms and appendices in its manuals for all purchasers. Electronic versions of forms, appendices, and the model compliance plan are available to CHA members for download at www.calhospital.org/forms-and-appendices.
Electronic copies of CHA Publications are available free to CHA members. CHA members may download each PDF for their individual use and/or post it to an Intranet or shared workstation environment.
Limited Use License: In purchasing this electronic publication (Publication), the individual who purchased it (Purchaser) agrees to abide by the terms of this Limited Use License. This Limited Use License: (1) gives Purchaser a non-exclusive, non-assignable, royalty free, perpetual, limited right to use this electronic publication only for his/her personal use; and (2) prohibits Purchaser from posting, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, transmitting, or otherwise allowing anyone else to access or use this Publication. CHA is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including intellectual property rights, in this Publication and its contents. CHA will strictly enforce the terms of this Limited Use License.
NOTE: Print functionality is disabled in the Individual PDF. Purchases that include electronic publications are not refundable. For questions about the policy, contact Publications.
CHA Manuals App FAQ
Following are frequently asked questions regarding the free CHA Manuals app.
- How do I get the app?
Download the free CHA Manuals App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Once the app is installed on your mobile device simply tap the Consent Manual icon and you will be prompted to Login and set your password.
- Are the cross-reference links active?
Yes, all cross-reference links are active. If you tap a link that takes you to another place in the same chapter, use the “Return” button in the bottom navigation bar to return to your previous spot. If you tap a link that takes you to a different chapter, use the top “Back” button to go back to the previous page.
Because the content in the app is presented as a reflowable html document, each chapter is viewed as one long page. Therefore, if you link to a different place in the same chapter there is no page to go ‘back’ and you must use the “Return” button to go to your previous location.
- Is the app searchable?
Yes, the app features a robust search functionality. Simply tap the “Search” icon in the bottom navigation bar and enter the desired search term. All instances of the search term in the manual will be displayed, with links that take you directly to the desired location.
- Are the external links active?
Yes, external websites are active. When you tap on an external link in the app, it will open a web browser window and take you to the desired website. To get back to the manual content simply tap the “CHA Manuals” prompt in the top left. Please note some website addresses may have changed since publication and CHA cannot be responsible for broken links.
- When a new version of a manual is released, will I automatically receive it?
No. When a new version of a manual is released you will have the option of purchasing the updated manual. You may add the updated manual to the app and keep the old manual as well or replace the older edition with the new one.
- Can I share the app?
No, the app may not be shared. Only one log on per authorized email address will be allowed.
- Does the app provide offline access?
Yes, the app provides offline access. Content can be downloaded to your device’s cache for offline access by tapping the “download” icon in the top right.
free for members