New for 2021: Consent Manual Released as ePub Only
The Consent Manual ePub includes both a searchable PDF and access to the CHA Manuals App for mobile use. CHA members may download the Consent Manual and PDFs for all CHA manuals from the publications download library. The free CHA Manuals App, which provides mobile access to many CHA manuals, may be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
The Consent Manual is your one-stop resource for all legal requirements related to patient consent for medical treatment, release of medical information, reporting requirements and more. It details exactly what the law requires and what you need to do to comply.
The Consent Manual addresses state and federal health care law through June 2021, and has been updated to discuss:
- Requirements that children’s medical exemptions for immunizations be done electronically
- Prescriber access to CURES activity reports and new rules for prescribers
- Telehealth examinations, and evaluations of involuntarily detained mental health patients
- Training requirements for mandated reporters and a new mandated reporter classification
This acclaimed manual covers situations involving minors, mental health treatment, end-of-life issues, refusal of treatment, and related health care law.
(48th edition, 2021)
- Patients’ Rights and Interpreter Services
- Basic Principles of Consent
- Who May Consent for Adults Lacking Capacity
- Who May Consent for Minor Patients
- Treatments that Require Special Consent
- Refusal of Treatment and End-of-Life Issues
- The Medical Record
- Health Information Privacy Basics
- Medical Procedures and Interrogations Requested by Law Enforcement
- Research on Human Subjects
- Admission and Registration Documents, Arbitration and Liens
- Discharge Planning, Patient Transfers and Related Issues
- Maternity and Newborn Issues
- Deaths, Autopsies and Anatomical Gifts
- Voluntary Admission and Involuntary Detainment for Mental Health Treatment
- Mental Health Patients: Rights and Reporting
- Assault and Abuse Reporting Requirements
- Reporting Communicable Diseases and Other Patient Conditions
- Adverse Events and Incident Reports
- Other Issues
“When there’s not a clear answer, check the Consent Manual. I love it, it covers everything!”
— TuRae Fazio, CPHRM, Director, Risk Management Claims & Insurance,
MemorialCare Health System
“We always feel we are standing on solid ground when we consult the Consent Manual — No other resource addresses California-specific issues at this level of detail.”
— Edward Fabi, Registered In-House Counsel, Sutter Health
“I have yet to have a question that the Consent Manual content could not address.”
— Marianne Padden, Director, Risk Management/Regulatory Compliance, Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center – Torrance
“The Consent Manual gives me good depth of information, and having the citations right there saves a lot of legal research time.”
— Kelley Evans, Senior Counsel, Dignity Health
“The Consent Manual is a comprehensive and reliable resource that we can refer to for a quick answer to almost any question about consent in the hospital setting — it’s a must-have for risk managers, legal counsel, and anyone in hospital operations.”
— Karen Weinstein, Senior Counsel, MemorialCare Health System
Memo of Notable Changes
CHA members may download each PDF for their individual use and/or post it to an Intranet or shared workstation environment.
Limited Use License: In purchasing this electronic publication (Publication), the individual who purchased it (Purchaser) agrees to abide by the terms of this Limited Use License. This Limited Use License: (1) gives Purchaser a non-exclusive, non-assignable, royalty free, perpetual, limited right to use this electronic publication only for his/her personal use; and (2) prohibits Purchaser from posting, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, transmitting, or otherwise allowing anyone else to access or use this Publication. CHA is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including intellectual property rights, in this Publication and its contents. CHA will strictly enforce the terms of this Limited Use License.
Purchases that include electronic publications are not refundable.
For questions about the policy, contact Publications.
CHA Manuals App FAQ
Following are frequently asked questions regarding the free CHA Manuals app.
1. How do I get the app?
2. Are the cross-reference links active?
Yes, all cross-reference links are active. If you tap a link that takes you to another place in the same chapter, use the “Return” button in the bottom navigation bar to return to your previous spot. If you tap a link that takes you to a different chapter, use the top “Back” button to go back to the previous page.
Because the content in the app is presented as a reflowable html document, each chapter is viewed as one long page. Therefore, if you link to a different place in the same chapter there is no page to go ‘back’ and you must use the “Return” button to go to your previous location.
3. Is the app searchable?
Yes, the app features a robust search functionality. Simply tap the “Search” icon in the bottom navigation bar and enter the desired search term. All instances of the search term in the manual will be displayed, with links that take you directly to the desired location.
4. Are the external links active?
Yes, external websites are active. When you tap on an external link in the app, it will open a web browser window and take you to the desired website. To get back to the manual content simply tap the “CHA Manuals” prompt in the top left. Please note some website addresses may have changed since publication and CHA cannot be responsible for broken links.
5. When a new version of a manual is released, will I automatically receive it?
Members will always have access to the current edition to the manual in the CHA Manuals App, previous editions will also be available archived for members in the app. Nonmembers will have access to only those editions they have purchased.
6. Can I share the app?
No, the app may not be shared.
7. Does the app provide offline access?
Yes, the app provides offline access. Content can be downloaded to your device’s cache for offline access by tapping the “download” icon in the top right.
Buy & Download
free for members