The Consent Manual is your one-stop resource for all legal requirements related to patient consent for medical treatment, release of medical information, reporting requirements and more. It details exactly what the law requires and what you need to do to comply.
New for 2020
The Consent Manual addresses state and federal health care law through June 2020, and has been updated to discuss:
- Information that must be given to patients regarding how to file a complaint with the Dept. of Fair Employment and Housing as well as the Medical Board of California
- Reporting requirements for facilities that receive written allegations of sexual abuse or misconduct
- Implications from recent court decisions involving unrepresented patients
- Revisions to the Medicare Condition of Participation for discharge planning
- Updates to state and federal lists of reportable diseases and diseases that trigger a duty to notify first responders
This acclaimed manual covers situations involving minors, mental health treatment, end-of-life issues, refusal of treatment, and related health care law.
(47th edition, 2020)
The 2020 Consent Manual reflects legal changes through June 2020, is indexed for fast reference, and features more than 600 pages.
- Patients’ Rights and Interpreter Services
- Basic Principles of Consent
- Who May Consent for Adults Lacking Capacity
- Who May Consent for Minor Patients
- Treatments that Require Special Consent
- Refusal of Treatment and End-of-Life Issues
- The Medical Record
- Health Information Privacy Basics
- Medical Procedures and Interrogations Requested by Law Enforcement
- Research on Human Subjects
- Admission and Registration Documents, Arbitration and Liens
- Discharge Planning, Patient Transfers and Related Issues
- Maternity and Newborn Issues
- Deaths, Autopsies and Anatomical Gifts
- Voluntary Admission and Involuntary Detainment for Mental Health Treatment
- Mental Health Patients: Rights and Reporting
- Assault and Abuse Reporting Requirements
- Reporting Communicable Diseases and Other Patient Conditions
- Adverse Events and Incident Reports
- Other Issues
- Where to Find Laws Referenced in the Manual
- Numerical Listing of Forms and Appendixes
- Signage Requirements
- Patient Handouts or Other Informational Requirements
- Reporting Requirements
- Special Consent Requirements
“When there’s not a clear answer, check the Consent Manual. I love it, it covers everything!”
— TuRae Fazio, CPHRM, Director, Risk Management Claims & Insurance,
MemorialCare Health System
“We always feel we are standing on solid ground when we consult the Consent Manual — No other resource addresses California-specific issues at this level of detail.”
— Edward Fabi, Registered In-House Counsel, Sutter Health
“I have yet to have a question that the Consent Manual content could not address.”
— Marianne Padden, Director, Risk Management/Regulatory Compliance, Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center – Torrance
“The Consent Manual gives me good depth of information, and having the citations right there saves a lot of legal research time.”
— Kelley Evans, Senior Counsel, Dignity Health
“The Consent Manual is a comprehensive and reliable resource that we can refer to for a quick answer to almost any question about consent in the hospital setting — it’s a must-have for risk managers, legal counsel, and anyone in hospital operations.”
— Karen Weinstein, Senior Counsel, MemorialCare Health System
“The Consent Manual covers much more than consent law and saves hours of research. It’s a great resource for risk managers.”
— Kathryn Biasotti, BSN, CPHRM, Administrative Director Legal and Risk, Barton Health
Memo of Notable Changes
Download the Memo of Notable Changes for 2020 here.
CHA includes hard copies of forms and appendices in its manuals for all purchasers. Electronic versions of forms, appendices, and the model compliance plan are available to CHA members for download at www.calhospital.org/free-resources.
Electronic copies of CHA Publications are available free to CHA members. CHA members may download each PDF for their individual use and/or post it to an Intranet or shared workstation environment.
Limited Use License: In purchasing this electronic publication (Publication), the individual who purchased it (Purchaser) agrees to abide by the terms of this Limited Use License. This Limited Use License: (1) gives Purchaser a non-exclusive, non-assignable, royalty free, perpetual, limited right to use this electronic publication only for his/her personal use; and (2) prohibits Purchaser from posting, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, transmitting, or otherwise allowing anyone else to access or use this Publication. CHA is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including intellectual property rights, in this Publication and its contents. CHA will strictly enforce the terms of this Limited Use License.
NOTE: Print functionality is disabled in the Individual PDF.
Limited Use License
In purchasing this electronic publication (Publication), the entity who purchased it (Purchaser) agrees to abide by the terms of this Limited Use License. This Limited Use License:
(1) gives Purchaser a non-exclusive, non-assignable, royalty free, perpetual, limited right to use this electronic publication by posting it to a single intranet environment of a single organization; and
(2) prohibits Purchaser from reproducing, distributing, disseminating, transmitting, or otherwise allowing any other entity or individual to access or use this Publication or to post it to another organization’s intranet environment.
CHA is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including intellectual property rights, in this Publication and its contents. CHA will strictly enforce the terms of this Limited Use License.
Purchases that include electronic publications are not refundable.
For questions about the policy, contact Publications.
Following are frequently asked questions regarding the free CHA Manuals app.
1. How do I get the app?
2. Are the cross-reference links active?
Yes, all cross-reference links are active. If you tap a link that takes you to another place in the same chapter, use the “Return” button in the bottom navigation bar to return to your previous spot. If you tap a link that takes you to a different chapter, use the top “Back” button to go back to the previous page.
Because the content in the app is presented as a reflowable html document, each chapter is viewed as one long page. Therefore, if you link to a different place in the same chapter there is no page to go ‘back’ and you must use the “Return” button to go to your previous location.
3. Is the app searchable?
Yes, the app features a robust search functionality. Simply tap the “Search” icon in the bottom navigation bar and enter the desired search term. All instances of the search term in the manual will be displayed, with links that take you directly to the desired location.
4. Are the external links active?
Yes, external websites are active. When you tap on an external link in the app, it will open a web browser window and take you to the desired website. To get back to the manual content simply tap the “CHA Manuals” prompt in the top left. Please note some website addresses may have changed since publication and CHA cannot be responsible for broken links.
5. When a new version of a manual is released, will I automatically receive it?
No. When a new version of a manual is released you will have the option of purchasing the updated manual. You may add the updated manual to the app and keep the old manual as well or replace the older edition with the new one.
6. Can I share the app?
No, the app may not be shared. Only one log on per authorized email address will be allowed.
7. Does the app provide offline access?
Yes, the app provides offline access. Content can be downloaded to your device’s cache for offline access by tapping the “download” icon in the top right.
Buy & Download
free for members
Digital Download (FREE)
Printed Manual ($70)
For intranet use