Effective August 12, 2021 CHA Manuals are available in ePub format only
The ePub includes a PDF and access to the CHA Manuals App for mobile use. CHA members may download PDFs for all CHA manuals, from the publications download library; the free CHA Manuals App may be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
Stay up-to-date with the most comprehensive resource created specifically to provide guidance to hospitals and health systems on how to comply with myriad California and federal statutes, regulations, and agency guidelines. The California Hospital Compliance Manual covers all applicable state and federal laws and focuses on high-risk compliance issues including fraud and abuse.
New for 2022:
The California Hospital Compliance Manual addresses state and federal through February 2022, and has been updated to discuss:
- State and federal laws on surprise billing or balance billing, with an entire new chapter added
- Insights on two new antikickback safe harbors which take effect Jan. 1, 2023
- Changes to the Hospital Fair Pricing Policies Law made by AB 1020 and AB 532, effective Jan. 1, 2024
- Changes to the state community benefits law made by AB 1204
- Revisions to the OIG Health Care Fraud Self-Disclosure Protocol, and many other legal changes
Lloyd Bookman, Esq., CHA’s Lois Richardson, Esq., and legal experts from Hooper, Lundy & Bookman, PC.
(Thirteenth edition, 2022)
The manual features more than 700 pages of content including 17 chapters, a model hospital compliance plan, numerous compliance forms and appendices, and an index.
- Hospital Compliance Plans
- Governing Boards
- Federal and State False Claims Acts
- Submission of Accurate Claims Information
- Proper Cost Reporting Practices
- Physician Self-Referral Laws
- Federal and State Anti-Kickback Laws
- Financial Assistance Policies
- Issues for Tax-Exempt Hospitals
- Fundamentals of Hospital Licensing and Certification
- Screening for Excluded Providers and Suppliers
- Hospital Signage Requirements
- Patient Safety Organizations
- Other Laws
- Repayment and Self-Disclosure
- Responding to Government Audits and Investigations
- Surprise Billing and Price Transparency
“This is the only manual to address California and federal laws in depth — it’s well organized, and having the citations right there saves time.”
– Kevin Nelson, Director, Corporate Compliance, Cottage Health System
“The Compliance Manual is a great, comprehensive resource with quick answers to questions about state and federal laws — I appreciate the recommendations that help explain gray areas in the law.”
– Stephanie Hanson R.N. CHC, Compliance Officer, Tahoe Forest Hospital District
“CHA’s Hospital Compliance Manual is a great tool for bringing staff up to speed fast.”
– Lynn Grieves, Chief Compliance Officer, Children’s Hospital of Orange County
Electronic versions of forms, appendices, and the model compliance plan are available to CHA members for download at www.calhospital.org/forms-and-appendices. Compliance-related forms and appendices are included in the PDF available for nonmember purchase.
Electronic copies of CHA Publications are available free to CHA members. CHA members may download each PDF for their individual use and/or post it to an Intranet or shared workstation environment.
Limited Use License: In purchasing this electronic publication (Publication), the individual who purchased it (Purchaser) agrees to abide by the terms of this Limited Use License. This Limited Use License: (1) gives Purchaser a non-exclusive, non-assignable, royalty free, perpetual, limited right to use this electronic publication only for his/her personal use; and (2) prohibits Purchaser from posting, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, transmitting, or otherwise allowing anyone else to access or use this Publication. CHA is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including intellectual property rights, in this Publication and its contents. CHA will strictly enforce the terms of this Limited Use License.
NOTE: Purchases that include electronic publications are not refundable. For questions about the policy, contact Publications.
Free for members