CHA is pleased to release the 2020 Consent Manual, which features updates and insights on current consent and related health care law. The manual is available free to members for download and in the CHA Manuals app. Printed copies may be purchased here.
This is the one-stop resource for all state and federal legal requirements related to patient consent for medical treatment, release of medical information, reporting requirements, and more. It details exactly what the law requires and what hospitals need to do to comply.
The 2020 edition addresses health care law through June 2020, and has been updated to cover:
- Rules regarding information that must be given to patients on how to file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing as well as the Medical Board of California
- Reporting requirements for facilities that receive written allegations of sexual abuse or misconduct
- Implications from recent court decisions involving unrepresented patients
- Revisions to the Medicare Conditions of Participation for discharge planning
- Updates to state and federal lists of reportable diseases and diseases that trigger a duty to notify first responders
The manual also covers situations involving minors, mental health treatment, end-of-life issues, refusal of treatment, and a wide range of related health care law.