Last week, CHA sent a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly addressing the patchwork of testing policies across jurisdictions in California. The lack of uniform policies has created confusion for providers, avoidable utilization of scarce testing supplies, and uneven reimbursement practices.
CHA’s letter asks the state to take five steps to ameliorate these problems:
- Convene a second testing task force whose sole focus is setting testing goals, policies, and priorities.
- Quickly refine the state’s testing prioritization guidance in light of critical testing supply shortages.
- Drive alignment between state guidance and county public health orders regarding testing.
- Align state regulations about payer financial responsibility with state testing prioritization.
- Leverage the state’s purchasing power to expand the availability of testing supplies.