CHA DataSuite has released hospital-specific impact analyses of the federal fiscal year (FFY) 2024 Medicare inpatient prospective payment system (IPPS) final rule. The analysis shows how Medicare inpatient fee-for-service (FFS) payments would change from FFY 2023 to FFY 2024 based on the policies set forth in the final rule.
The analysis compares the year-over-year change in operating, capital, and uncompensated care IPPS payments and includes breakout sections that provide detailed insight into specific policies that influence IPPS payment changes, including:
- Impact of the adopted changes to computing the state rural wage index, including hospitals eligible for receiving the rural floor and the rural floor budget neutrality that is applied to wage indexes
- Impact of Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) adjustment to the wage index of hospitals in bottom quartile of wage index values nationally to reduce wage disparities
- Year-over-year impact of CMS’ 5% cap on wage index decreases from FFY 2023
- Quality-based payment adjustments
- Potential payment penalties under the Inpatient Quality Reporting and Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs.
- Disproportionate share hospital uncompensated care payments
Dollar impacts in this analysis may differ from those provided by other organizations due to differences in source data and analytic methods.
CHA encourages members to register for DataGen’s webinar on the FFY 2024 IPPS final rule and analysis on Aug. 30 at noon (PT). Registration is required.
This content is restricted to members.